In 1973, several churches across the Tidewater area organized Tidewater Christian Service Camp with the hopes of developing an area to cultivate a relationship with Jesus in young people. Later that year, Mrs. Anna Whitaker donated 106 acres of her logging property to the Tidewater Christian Service Camp in order to provide a place for young people to grow in their knowledge and faith in the Lord. The only thing she asked was that the camp be named for her father, Rudolph Wachsman. For the next three years, Tidewater Christian Service Camp sent kids down to Roanoke Christian Service Camp in Little Washington, NC each summer. In 1976, Camp Rudolph opened its property for the first time with 407 people attending. Since then, we have hosted over 20,000 summer campers as well as hundreds of retreat groups.
Camp Rudolph exists to be set apart in order to make disciples through encounters with God in His creation.
What We Believe:
- We accept that Scripture is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice. (Isaiah 40:8)
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, three in one – coequal, which is the Trinity. (Matthew 28:19; Genesis 1:1-2; John 1:1-4, 14)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the one and only son of God who died for our sins and arose from the dead. He alone is the hope of salvation for mankind. (1 Corinthians 15:1-8, Acts 4:12)
- We believe that every person has worth as a creation of God, but that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- We believe that forgiveness of sins and promise of eternal life are available to those who accept Christ as Savior and Lord.
(John 3:16, Acts 2:21)
- We believe to accept Christ one should repent of sin, confess faith in Christ, and be baptized into Him.
(Romans 10:9; Acts 2:38)
- We believe that the Church is the body of Christ on earth, empowered by the Holy Spirit, and exists to save the lost and edify the saved. (Ephesians 4:1-16)
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as either male or female, and that these two distinct, complementary sexes together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen. 1:26-27)
- We believe that God created marriage to be exclusively the union of one man and one woman, and that intimate sexual activity is to occur exclusively within that union.
(Gen. 2:18-25; 1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4)
- We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including but not limited to pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will one day return to earth to redeem His church. Christians will be joined with Him together in heaven forever. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)
- Respect – teaching campers to respect God, their leaders, and each other (1 Peter 2:17)
- Focus – minimizing distractions to focus on God’s Word
(1 Corinthians 7:35)
- Life Principles – making these both practical and Biblical (Proverbs 4:13)
- Mentoring – discipleship in Christ (2 Timothy 1:13)
- Values – helping campers find the most important things in life (Matthew 22:37-39)
- Integrity – being honest even when no one is watching
- Safety – adhering to common sense and health and safety rules
(1 Timothy 6:20a)